This is my attempt to create some interesting musings, uberservations and, perhaps, insights on both my personal and professional life.

Google
 
Web krokro.blogspot.com

Thursday, December 04, 2008

Please come back, John Hughes

If I was on a deserted island and could take only one director/writer's movies with me, I would most likely take Steven Spielberg's collected works.

But, if I could take two director/writer's anthologies, the second set would the movies by the great John Hughes. Let's take a minute and digest some of his master pieces in order of my favorites, starting at the bottom (which is silly because all his movies are pure genius) and ending with my favorite of favorites:
  • Home Alone - a bit violent for certain, but a strong effort from Joe Pesci.
  • Uncle Buck - John Candy in good form.
  • Pretty In Pink - Molly Ringwald as a poor girl who has a chance with richer, popular guy.
  • Christmas Vacation - any scene with Randy Quaid is worth watching.
  • Vacation - Anthony Michael Hall gives a solid performance in his first appearance in a John Hughes film.
  • Some Kind of Wonderful - just like Pretty In Pink but this time the guy is poor and an unknown and the girl is popular.
  • Planes, Trains and Automobiles - really good, funny movie, especially during the holidays. John Candy delivers.
  • Weird Science - so many quotable scenes. The acting is impeccable.
  • Sixteen Candles - I could watch this every day and find more layers with every viewing.
  • The Breakfast Club - this movie spoke to me as a junior in high school...I could relate to every character. It's as if John Hughes was inside my head.
  • Ferris Bueller's Day Off - every scene is like a stand alone movie.

John Hughes was a loyalist as well - he made stars of Anthony Michael Hall, Molly Ringwald, Eric Stoltz, Robert Downey Jr., and helped out the careers of John Candy and Chevy Chase. Hughes has been a bit of a hermit since 1994, and I wish he would come out of hiding.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

TimmyK, you need to up your blog capabilities. I want an RSS feed so I can read this through Google Reader. See if Blogger has the details in their set up page or go get Feedburner. Here are some ideas.

http://www.quickonlinetips.com/archives/2005/04/free-essential-tools-for-blogger/

Kisses.
Duis

10:22 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home